A 'right' is something which belongs to you and cannot be taken away by anyone. Your classmates and teachers have the same rights.
Here are your important rights.
- You have the right to be an individual at school
This means you should not be treated unfairly because you are tall or short, boy or girl, or because it takes you a little longer to get the right answer.
- You have the right to be respected and treated with kindness at school
This means that others should not laugh at you, make fun of you, or hurt your feelings. No one is to embarrass you in front of the class.
- You have a right to express yourselves
This means that you may talk freely about your ideas and feelings when appropriate.
- You have a right to a safe school
This means that your school should provide safe classrooms, equipment and rules to ensure your safety at school.
- You have a right to tell your side of the story
This means you may tell your side of the story when accused of breaking a rule.
Here are some things you should do without being told. Some of these things you do for others and some of these things you do for yourself. Here are your important responsibilities.
- You have a responsibility to allow others to work without being bothered
This means that you quietly make good use of your time and do not bother others.
- You have a responsibility to complete your classroom assignments
This means that you do your best with your class assignments and homework, being sure to hand them in on time.
- You have a responsibility to help make school a good place to be
This means being thoughtful, respectful, and courteous to others.
- You have a responsibility to take care of property
This means that you take care of school property and respect the property of others.
- You have a responsibility to come to school
This means that you come to school every day, on time, unless you are sick or have a special reason to be absent.
- You have a responsibility to obey school rules
This means observing all safety, playground, and classroom rules.
- You have a responsibility to take school messages home
This means that it is important for you to take all school messages to your parents.
- You have a responsibility to practise good personal cleanliness
This means that you come to school clean and practise good health habits at school.
021 859 916
218 Cambridge Road, Hillcrest, Hamilton 3216
PO Box 11017, Hillcrest, Hamilton 3251